The American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) continues to adjust and refine the requirements for Maintenance of Certification (MOC). By meeting these MOC requirements, internists’ and subspecialists’ demonstrate ongoing engagement in lifelong learning and continuous quality improvement.
While maintaining certification is not mandatory, ABIM encourages physicians to participate in MOC as evidence of their commitment to lifelong learning. In 2015, ABIM updated the wording on their site to “participating in MOC” to reflect a physician’s MOC status. This information is also made publicly available at the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).
Maintenance of Certification Requirements
Here is an overview of the current general MOC requirements:
- Complete one (1) MOC activity every two (2) years.
Points earned will count toward the 5 year requirement of 100 MOC points.
- Earn 100 MOC points every five (5) years.
Twenty (20) of these points must be in the Medical Knowledge category.
- Pass an assessment:
According to ABIM, both types of assessment have their own requirements and offer different benefits. Find out which assessment is the right one for you.
How to Be Reported as “Participating in MOC”
In order to be publicly reported as “participating in MOC” you must earn some MOC points every two (2) years. To ensure that you are reported as “certified” you must meet the requirements listed above. Be sure to take one of the following steps:
- If you are already enrolled in the MOC program: Go to the ABIM site, sign in, and identify which certifications you wish to maintain.
- If you have not yet enrolled in the MOC program: Go to the ABIM site, sign in, and enroll by identifying which certifications you wish to maintain.
For “Grandfathered” Individuals
Diplomates with a certification that is valid indefinitely who do not participate in any of the MOC program requirements will be reported as “Certified, Not Meeting MOC Requirements.” They will not be reported as “Not Certified” for failing to meet MOC requirements. Requirements and associated deadlines include:
- Completing an MOC activity every 2 years
- Earning 100 MOC points with a minimum of 20 points in medical knowledge
- Passing and assessment
Registration Deadlines & Exam Dates
You can read more about ABIM certification requirements and exam dates at ABIM’s site.
For more information about about the new ABIM MOC requirements, visit the ABIM website.