Family Medicine Board Exam Preparation
In order to help you succeed, we’ve provided you with a quick guide for preparing for and taking the family medicine board exam.
Family Medicine Board Exam Format
The family medicine board exam is composed of multiple-choice questions that assess knowledge and problem-solving ability. The exam is divided into four sections, each containing 75 multiple choice questions, with 95 minutes allotted for each.
What to Expect the Day of the Exam
The family medicine board exam is a one-day exam, offered in computer format only at Prometric testing centers.
- Plan to arrive 30 minutes early for registration and ID verification.
- You cannot bring personal items (e.g., mobile phones, pagers, watches, purses, bags, books, etc.) into the exam room. If you cannot leave such items at home or in your car, you can store them in secure lockers at the exam location.
- Each workstation is equipped with a small whiteboard and marker for notes and prep work as you take the exam.
- There will be other examinees using the testing center at the same time, many taking other types of examinations. Ear plugs or headphones are provided on request.
- The family medicine board exam is broken out into sections. Once you complete and submit each section of the exam (or time is ended) you may not revisit the section.
- Several optional breaks are scheduled throughout the day, with 100 minutes of pooled break time: you may choose to take all of the breaks, part of the breaks, or none at all.
The Family Medicine Board Exam Schedule
The entire exam day, from instructions to completion of the exam and survey, can take approximately nine hours.
Registration, Seating, Rules, Instructions: ~45 minutes
|Section 1||75 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)||95 Minutes|
|Section 2||75 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)||95 Minutes|
|Section 3||75 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)||95 Minutes|
|Section 4||75 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)||95 Minutes|
100 minutes of pooled break is available to be used between sections.
Exam Survey: ~15 minutes